Monday, June 27, 2005

Miller's Time Book Meme

Miller's Time started his own book meme, which he thoughtfully passed to me (and anything that gives me a "low hanging" blog entry gets a thanks). So here we go, with some running commentary:

1. What is the last book you read, the book you are currently reading and the next book you plan to read:
Never Eat Alone - Keith Ferrazzi
Chainfire - Terry Goodkind
Not sure what I am reading next...
2. In no particular order, what are your five favorite works of fiction:
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Lord of the Rings (three books, but one story) - J. R. R. Tolkein
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Dune - Frank Herbert
??? (maybe Shogun by James Clavel)

3. In no particular order, what are your five favorite non-fiction books:

See my business book list.

4. Who are your five favorite fiction writers:

William Shakespeare (I am not being pedantic, but if you characterize "favorite" as having a lot of stories you like to read over and over again...)
J.R.R. Tolkein
Bernard Cornwell
Nelson DeMille
??? (I'm having trouble with the fifth. It sort of depends when in my life you are referring to since at one point I really liked Asimov, Bradbury, King, Clancy and others, but now I hardly read them at all).

5. Who are your five favorite non-fiction writers:

I can't really answer this one. Non-fiction writers rarely write more than one well-known work, and I don't read that many non-fiction books outside of business.
6. What book[s] (other than Scripture) have you read more than once:
This is too long to list. I have read my favorite books more than once, plus over a dozen novels I really enjoyed that didn't make the top 5 list. There are also a couple of "classics" that are in my top 10, like Paradise Lost and Moby Dick that I really enjoy and reread every few years.
7. What autographed books do you own, and who signed them:

The Naked Empire - Terry Goodkind
Havana - Steven Hunter

I am now passing the meme over to Jim and Dave, and of course anyone else can join and let everyone know in the comment section.

No comments: