Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Better Source for Start-Up Data

A few days ago I posted a link to a site that listed semiconductor start-ups. However several people commented that they didn't find the list very helpful.

I concurred and I have offered the site author to update the list, which I am doing anyway for another consulting project. So I am taking what he has and making it a little more useful for me, and sending him my results (in return for some other info he is sending me).

However, I found out there is a much better source for this information: Venture One. Owned by Dow Jones, this has an extensive database on start-ups funded over the past 10 years and allows searches by segment, employee number, location, funding amount, rounds, you name it. The only problem is that it costs BIG. One of my clients has access and sent me material from it (which I cannot post for legal reasons), but it is pretty impressive. So if you are serious about needing data about start-ups, this is the place to go. If you are a hobbyist, a consultant, or poor, you will have to use the free lists that are out there or do the research yourself.

No comments: