Tuesday, February 28, 2006

New Countries for Investment?

Your generation hears "Vietnam" and thinks "war". My generation hears "Vietnam" and thinks of just another country.

- Susan Weber in "Up Country", by Nelson DeMille

This quote immediately came to mind when I read about Intel's new $605 million Vietnamese assembly and test plant. When one of the most successful (and some would say monopolistic) American companies starts pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into a new country, you know that capitalism is taking root there.

I just wish someone would tell the Boomers that that War is long, long over. Today we're as far away from the Vietnam War as 1976 was from the end of WWII, but we keep hearing from some quarters like it just ended.

Now I wonder when I'll read about a semiconductor test and assembly operation being put into Iraq.

No comments: