Monday, December 11, 2006

My Ski Vacation

It was hard to tell from my blogging and work output last week that I was actually on vacation. I just have a hard time relaxing and getting away - either that or I can't think of what to do with my free time, even on vacation.


Place: Park City, Utah. Activity: Skiing. For those of you who forgot, Park City was one of the venues of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. Mrs. Director and I took a morning off to take a tour of the Olympic facility near town and it is definitely worth the time. It is here that they held the bob sled, skeleton, luge and ski jump competitions. These days the facility is used for training by teams from around the world, so we actually got to watch a few members of the German skeleton team do some training runs.


We also got a look at the ski jump, which made "the agony of defeat" replay over and over in my mind (which shows my age). When I brought up this up to our gen X guide, he told me he told me that ski jumping is the second safest winter Olympic event after curling. I guess ice dancing has more injuries than I realized.

Despite being "safe", these guys are truly crazy to go hurling down one of these runs:




As for the skiing, the snow was surprisingly good so early in the season.


Much to Mrs. Director's dismay, however, I discovered cross-country skiing and really enjoyed it. I didn't realize that there is a bit of a rivalry between the two sports, and Mrs. Director - a down-hiller through and through - is upset that I am looking to spend more time in this heart-pumping activity (which reminded me a lot of long distance cycling). However, both activities do share one thing in common: utter contempt for snow boarders.

I give a big Thumbs Up on the location for skiing. However, due to the distance and difficulty to get to from SoCal (compared to Colorado or California itself), I have a feeling that it will be some years before I ever return here.

No comments: