Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Quick Potter Phoenix Review

Before I started feeling sick on Saturday, but probably contagious, I took Little Miss Director to a crowded theater to see the latest Potter movie.

Overall I think it is one of the best of the series, but also the darkest. The plot moves quickly and has a lot of suspense. There were a few scenes I felt were "forced" into the plot line, I assume to follow the book (a scene involving a giant comes to mind), but overall the movie came together quite nicely.

(Last month I did try to read the book but was bored to death after 100 pages and put it away. Once authors become successful they acquire power over their editors, refusing cuts and edits, ending up in bloated, boring manuscripts - Steven King and Tom Clancy are perfect examples. I read only the first Potter book years ago, and based on that one data point it would seem that Rowling has joined the club).

An interesting aspect of the movies is seeing the actors grow up. They are now young adults rather than cute kids. The Weasley twins really looked out of place in a high school.

Four out of five stars.

No comments: