Wednesday, October 29, 2008

How The Mighty Have Fallen

When I started interviewing for my first job in 1989, a little company I never heard of was doing on-campus interviews of BSEE graduates like me. Since I never heard of them I didn't bother to sign up for an interview.

Their name was Dell. And they were handing out stock options like candy.

A few years later "Dellionaires" became famous in Austin for buying fast cars and large mansions. Well into the 1990s Dell seemed unstoppable, and one could make pretty good money buying their stock on a dip.

This morning I find this interesting statistic: Apple could buy Dell for cash.

This sort of rags to riches to rags story is common in tech, but I think we're going to see a lot more of it happening outside of tech now. The whole banking landscape changed just in the last couple of months and it looks like the Big Three automakers are going to become the Little Two.

No comments: