Saturday, April 11, 2009

Scent of a Woman

I was in the grocery store picking up a few items and it hit me. I smelt her. In an instant I was transported back 24 years. I turned around expecting to see the woman (girl?) to whom I promised to conquer the world and lay at her feet.

I turned around and instead found a woman old enough to be my mother. Expectations crushed, I returned to 2009. But, for just an instant, I was there, in 1985.

Smell is one of the most powerful memory enhancers, and for this reason I have made sure that none of the women in my life have used the same perfume. By never disassociating the scent from the woman, I can find myself back in time, if only for an instant. So in grocery stores I have flashbacks of Christine, in an elevator I will catch a scent of Joy (her name and her perfume), while strolling in a mall Kimberley will come to mind, and in the airport I’ll be forced to remember that bitch of a first wife.

No comments: