Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I Am Doubting That Plane Crash Was Just "Weather"

I was on a 747 one time over the Pacific in a really bad storm, probably the worst turbulence in my 20 years of business travel. As I looked out the window I could see the wing flexing up and down like a bird's wing. It was doing a full 20 foot arc from high to low, flexing with the wind and turbulence. And that's how they're designed - a 747 wing can flex 26 feet before it snaps off.

So I am doubting the AF447 crash was due to weather. Modern planes can take a beating and this entire plane disintegrated. With various systems failures the pilots would have attempted a water landing like Pilot "Sully" did in New York last January. In this case we don't have an intact fuselage or anything else - just a 3 mile path of debris. So this was something that tore the plane apart in the air before pilots could get it down, and I doubt it was just the weather.

No comments: