Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Everyone Thinks Their Generation's Music is Better

I'm sitting here listening to the "80s channel" on my cable system and just can't believe the optimism, upbeat hope and just positive attitude that comes through the music of that era.  Even the ironic chorus "The future's so bright I gotta wear shades" was taken literally by the listening public back then since that was the mood.  Everything was going right and everyone was doing great.

The 90s brought us grunge, and teenage angst wasn't just for adolescents anymore.  Even through everything was generally okay, there was still a deep unease in the collective subconscious.  Nirvana sings about "I've been drawn into your magnet tar pit trap, I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black."  I mean, WTF?

Fast forward to today, and things are so bad we basically have escapism. "Russian roulette isn't the same without a gun, and baby when it's love, if it's not rough it isn't fun".  Okay Lady GaGa, whatever works for you.

Now, I'm not saying all 80s songs were great.  In fact there was a lot of trash back then, especially when music videos were in still in their infancy.  And the best take-off I've seen in that category is the Literal Music Video of "Head Over Heels".  Watch this if you need a laugh:






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And....you must be single. That song was horrible. I agree the words are better than music these days. But Yuck!!