Friday, March 17, 2017

Yoga and TMJ Tinnitus

I have covered before my now eight-month ordeal with tinnitus, caused by TMJ disorder.  It has been a slow recovery, and it could be one without an end since there is no guarantee that my "T" will ever get to zero.
 
However, I have gone from a 7/10 to a steady 2/10, and now with increasing incidences of 1/10.  And at a 1, the ringing is well below ambient noise level in a restaurant or bar.  I don't hear it at all in those situations.
 
Like most recoveries the improvement has been asymptotic.  I was stuck at a steady "2" it seems for months, but I finally started hearing more days of "1" after I started yoga.  It could be a coincidence, but I think there is something to it since TMJ disorder is related to tendons, joints and musculature.  It makes sense that stretching and strengthening would have some benefits.
 
The pose that I think helps the most: Standing Separate Leg, Head to Knee Pose (they have an Indian name for it that sounds like all of them: blablabla-strassena).  Having to twist my forehead to touch my knee seems to do all sorts of stuff in my ear area (and my knee is way bent unlike the model in the link).  Maybe it increases blood flow, maybe it is stretching the tendon, but something definitely happens in my TMJ area with that pose.
 
Here is a summary of my T improvement curve and the tools I have used.  The question is will I ever get to a 0?

 

 
 
 

No comments: