Monday, January 19, 2004

Interviewing for Jobs While The Imperial President Is Deposed

 So I had quite an interesting few days last week with all sorts of new opportunities mixed in with office politics and intrigue:

Thursday: Interview at Company Q - This was the first interview and as I noted last week I was already doubtful because of how I perceived the culture.

The first half of the day consisted of talking to various engineering managers. It turns out that I got along with the team very well. These are bright people working with advanced technology who like their jobs. Several of my "interviews" just turned into bull sessions as we just talked about technology roadmaps, potential future products, the history of the industry and other things we had in common.

I actually got along with the engineering team better than the actual Hiring Manager - we got along "okay", not great. So, overall, I liked the people and the team and think I would get along fine with my direct manager. From a experience and career path standpoint the job is a "good" fit, but not a "great" fit.

What's killing this deal, however, is the culture, which was exemplified with my discussions with HR.

During my six months of unemployment during the tech bust, I came to believe that HR was filled with hateful, incompetent, power-hungry a$$#$%s. I thought this feeling would go away after I was hired and interviewing from a position of strength (i.e. employed), but I find out - at least at this company - that nothing has changed.

I got the impression from HR that they were doing me a favor by interviewing me instead of getting a feeling that they really wanted me to join the team. I first cooled my heals waiting for the HR manager for about 20 minutes. The HR manager then actually "interviewed" me, asking me details about my previous work experience and how I would function in the position even though she had no clue about the background needed for the position. I would use various well understood acronyms describing how my previous experience would fit this particular position, and each time I had to spell out what they meant and simplify the terms I was using.

So I smiled. I said the right things. I acted interested in the position. But the fact was that every minute I sat with HR, I became less interested in the position. HR was the manifestation of other hints and pointers I received throughout my interviews with engineering: this was a highly bureaucratic, top-down organization. CYA (cover your a$$) was a finely tuned craft at the company. It was simply a Big Company mentality with a Big Company structure.

The interviewe ended with HR telling me they had a few other candidates they were talking to and they would get back to me by the end of the month. Leave your number, maybe we'll call.


Friday: Interview at Company A - This is the way open positions should be filled. I arrived at the company and was immediately greeted by HR, who offered coffee and small talk until my first interview came out of a meeting that was running late. Turns out this was the COO, but before I met with him, the hiring manager talked to me for five minutes, asking how I was doing and giving me a few pointers about the COO before going in.

The COO was relaxed and laid back. He didn't have a copy of my resume in front of him, nor did he ask for one. He simply sat across from me and we talked about the position, how I would manage it, and what he expected from it in the coming year. I think he made up his mind pretty quickly since the conversation then turned into a pitch for the company and how I could find an exciting career path under his guidance.

I then had two other interviews with senior management before heading out to lunch with the team and having a final talk with the hiring manager before being wisked away to HR, which focused mainly on benefits. The company called me Friday night to tell me they would make an offer on Monday.

ONE PROBLEM: The offer came in this morning and it's a low-ball. While I expect some negotiation in salaries, I am a bit disappointed that I have to play the game, and quite frankly, the bid really took away a lot of the excitement I had about the position. I basically said no and they are going back to "see what they can do", but at this point, there is the chance that although I like the team and feel that I am a good fit for the position, this job isn't going to happen.


Friday Evening: The President is Dead. Long live the President! - I had just come off the plane from my Friday interview when my phone ringed. Someone in accounting, knowing I was out "sick", called to tell me that the Imperial President had been "recalled". I had heard about this rumor well over a month ago, so was not too surprised about hearing it.

As predicted, Director Mike was put in charge. My first thought was "will this change my position and career at Global MegaCorp so I will want to stay?" The answer is: "probably not", but in light of the disaster with Company Q and the ongoing negotiations with Company A, I think I will at least look into the situation a bit further.

Of course the resulting change in the Presidency has other movements going on, so I will post a new org chart later in the week after the dust settles. Right now the office is like an ant hill that has been kicked over - everyone is scurrying around trying not to be stepped on.