Tuesday, November 02, 2004

2004 Election Party Liveblogging - George W. Bush vs. Kerry

4:45pm - I haven't even turned on the TV or checked the internet yet to see what is going on since I have been busy preparing for the party after putting in a (almost) full day of work. Turns out I have WAY too much food and liquor for 11 people, so I invited two neighbors - who happen to be Kerry supporters. They are pretty low key about it as I hang out them a lot and didn't know how they voted until I invited them to the party five minutes ago. So in addition to the original cast, we now have Surfer Dude and Surfer Chick, who are actually in the late 30s, despite the nicknames I gave them. 

Here is my outdoor bar and computer, ready to live blog the election, Fox is News piped outside. Things are good. 

 
 

5:15 - Fox calls W.V. for W. Yea! 45 minutes until the party starts and I have a beer open.

5:41 -  I Open another Sam Adams. Mmmmmmm......

5:45 -  Fox is pointing out that exit polls and actual numbers on the east coast aren't matching - I think this may be the beginning of the end of exit polls. 

5:54 -  Sneakeasy arrives and opens a Sam.
 
6:05 - Surfer Dude and Chick show up.
 
6:51 -  Hosting duties have taken over, so blogging is suffering as I run around making drinks and starting the hot appetizers. Blondie and Jay showed up. I am moving to martinis instead of Rum and coke. Sneakeasy is glued to the set keeping up with returns.
 
8:16 -  Sideshow Bob and Santa Maria show up. They are WAY behind.
 
8:57 -  It's nearly midnight on the East Coast and this thing isn't called yet. It's coming down to OH it seems. Another Rumsfeld and coke is imminent.
 
9:03 -  I should mention that polling is all over in the 48. Hawaii and Alaska soon.
 
9:15 -  I can barely read the clock on the computer. Am surprised how close it seems to be. Are Americans really that stupid?
 
And the result... Bush wins by a slim margin of 35 electoral votes and 50.7% of the popular vote!

No comments: