Monday, July 22, 2024

"Trapped" In California

 


I don’t know how many times I have told myself “I got to get out of this state”, especially during Covid, yet here I am, still, after 26 years and almost half my life.   The main thing keeping here through most of that time was my kids, but now they're launched and out of the nest, the main thing keeping me in Coastal California is the weather and the scenery.

I hate to admit that something that seems trivial in an era of air conditioning is keeping me in a place that I despise politically, but I’ll visit locations and stand outside sweating, looking out and the flat boring land for miles and miles around and think “I’d hate living here even if the politics fit me better”.

To be fair I am a bit immune to the worst California has to offer.  I no longer have kids in the California education system.  I am protected from the rocketing crime rates since I live in an enclave that actually enforces the law.  And I bought into California real estate a quarter century ago so am mostly immune to the high cost of real estate.  But if I were younger, had kids in school, and was looking at one-million-dollar starter homes with no existing assets, I would forget the nice weather and 12-month outdoor activities and move my ass somewhere else.

BUT I do think I will need to leave eventually.  That 12 months of outdoor activities is already slowing down as I age (no one tells out how badly and quickly your body falls apart after 50).  As I spend less time outdoors, the less important the weather is becoming.  Retirement planning, income taxes and the like also start looming larger, and soon the weather will be overrun by other considerations.

But where?


  •  Texas - I have ruled out going back to my home state of Texas – it is getting too crowded and dense, all the small towns I remember as a kid are all now absorbed into the major metropolitan areas.  In my lifetime all the main cities will merge into one giant city of Houston-Austin-San Antonio-Dallas covering half the state, one giant suburb with enormous amounts of traffic and endless rows of strip malls. 

  • Arizona - I just got back from Arizona, and while it looks good on paper (low cost of living, low taxes, independent libertarian bent in much of the state) it is too friggen hot AND too friggen tan.  No greenery.  No trees.  Its mountains can be nice, but I need green.  Oh, and its HOT!

  • Florida  - The Villages, which is the largest retirement community in the US, is a hoot, and everyone should visit just to see what it is all about.  It is basically a land-based cruise ship with everyone partying and golfing, and would be fun for a couple of weeks, but would wear thin after that.  Plus it is super hot in the summer, and the topology is pretty boring - flat and few trees in what is essentially reclaimed swamp land.  They just stamp out houses on endless flat land that stretches out for miles, so if topography is important, this is not your place.

     I also checked out the Florida coastal areas, which are nice and green and lush - when they are not mowed over by a hurricane.  Coastal Florida is on the maybe list, maybe more serious if I slow down a lot in my 60s or 70s, and maybe I will swing back for more exploring in another year or so.

  • Nevada - Reno has a nice feel: just enough city to be interesting but feels like a small town out in the burbs.  The issue there is the weather is extreme – too hot in the summer, then too cold in the winter.  I know a couple that just moved away from Reno since they hated the temperature swings. Most of Reno is also in a valley in the flight path to the airport, so air traffic noise is pretty bad in most of the neighborhood areas.

    Tahoe is too expensive – might as well stay in California.  Henderson, Summerlin and the burbs of Vegas have the heat issue, of course, but now also over-development and crowding.  I was in Summerlin for the first time in a decade last summer and was shocked by the amount of development, which isn’t going to slow down.

So nothing is striking me yet.  Next up I will be exploring the Tennessee-Carolinas area.  This is getting out of my geographic comfort zone as I have no family or friends out there, but let’s see how the climate and topography trade off.

No comments: