Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Movie Bars I Wish I Could Go To

While Tivo surfing recently I have watched portions of movies that took place inside interesting restaurants or bars where I thought "I wish I could really go to that place." So I thought I would compile a quick list from the top of my head, ranked in order:
1. Jackrabbit Slims - This place from Pulp Fiction is what got me thinking about this topic in the first place. Any place where Buddy Holly takes your order and Ed Sullivan introduces the evening dance contest is just way cool. Having Uma Thurman as your date would just add to the evening. (Note: there is apparently a bar named this in NYC, but as far as I can tell it isn't like the one in the movie).

2. Rick's - If I were stuck in Casablanca, this is where I would want to hang, as long as it was before Rick sold it to Ferrari. Even though Rick never shares drinks with customers (or will he), he seems to run a classy joint. (Another Note: I remember reading somewhere that some enterprising Morroccans actually opened a bar of this name in that city to attract tourists.)

3. House of Games - The bar gave the movie its name, but you don't go there for the drinks, you go there for the poker game in the back (or is it a poker game?). If you don't want to play, one of the regulars will be happy to teach you the art of the con.

4. Mos Eisley Cantina - The only one on my list that couldn't really exist, this "wretched hive of scum and villainy" of the Star Wars universe seems like a fun place to go slumming. Just remember to leave your droids at home since their kind aren't allowed in.

5. Club 49 (I think that is the name) - I've mentioned the good, bad movie Blast from the Past before, and this swing club just seems like a fun place to check out. Maybe because it has Humphry Bogart acting as MC.
I'm sure I missed a few. What others should be on the list?

No comments: