Thursday, May 12, 2005

I Don't Know Who to Cheer for in this Fight

Google versus France. I have to decide which one I dislike more (from the WSJ, link by subscription only):

France Mobilizes, Seeks European Allies to Fend Off Google
Earlier this year, in the name of protecting its culture, France launched a campaign to say "non" to Google Inc. Paris has since persuaded its European neighbors to join it in a $128 million project to counteract the U.S. Web search engine's dominance.

My dislike of Google just gets deeper each month. I was already torqued at their far left-wing news aggregation, and I just keep reading things that get me more and more angry with them. I do use Blogger, but keep in mind that 1) it is free and 2) I don't use their advertising service. So I am actually screwing them by using up free bandwidth and storage. I would move if I could, but with over 700 posts, I really don't want to go through the hassle - so I am stuck due to switching costs.

For this fight, however, my dislike for France is much deeper, so this is one time where I find myself on Google's side.

No comments: