Sunday, May 15, 2005

Is this a Consulting Project or Term Paper?

As I get going on the GENESIS PROJECT, I am having flashbacks to my graduate school days:
Then - Had an advising professor who signed off on the project outline before I could begin.
Now - Have an advising Vice President who signed off on the project outline before I could get the contract approved

Then - Weekly meetings with the professor to go over progress and status of the research and report.
Now - Weekly meetings with the VP to go over progress and status of the research and report.

Then - Project was to be an original piece of work showing my understanding in a body of knowledge
Now - Project is to be an original piece of work using my understanding in a body of knowledge to propose a business model to the Vice President.

Then - Completed work was on the order of 50 pages
Now - Completed work will be at least 50 pages (with diagrams and illustrations).

Then - Timeframe for completion: one semester
Now - Timeframe for completion: 4 weeks

Then - Woke up in the middle of the night worried if I would finish the project on time.
Now - Wake up in the middle of the night worried if I will finish the project on time.
Of course there was one big difference:
Then: Paid a 5 figure sum for the privilege to write the report.
Now: Being paid 5 figure sum for to write the report
And this is the difference that really counts, doesn't it?

No comments: