Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Work Should be Fun

I was having lunch with a prospective client, who brought up an idea for a consulting company with himself, me and a mutual friend. I thought a moment and replied, "Yeah, that sounds like fun."

He did a double take. It apparently was the last thing he thought I would say.

The bottom line is that work should be fun. It's what we spend our lives doing. And we shouldn't spend that time doing something we hate. Yes, we have to make money and support our families, but - if one can swing it - it should be fun.

And flexible.

And make you a lot of money.

And give you time for other things you enjoy.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but it's something I have in common with the current wave of workers just now entering the labor force. From Just Procrastinating, who noted the following article about the newest kids graduating college:
Technology has allowed them to blend their schoolwork into their personal lives seamlessly and wirelessly, so they balk at the image of a rigid 8-to-5 office where everyone's tethered to a desk. Still, they seek a balance between work time and free time, so they inquire about vacation plans and lunch hours.

But based on the rest of the article, it looks like this is the only thing I have in common with 21 year olds.

No comments: