Monday, August 21, 2006

Is This Paragraph Magic or Something?


IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email message, which includes any attachments, may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately contact the sender by reply email and permanently destroy the original and any copies of this message. Thank you.


I am seeing this sort of blurb on the end of more and more business messages. So what good is it?

Let's say - just as a hypothetical example, totally make believe - that I get this at the bottom of a email from a customer who is reviewing a contract I sent them for review. And let's suppose - just as an example, mind you - that the email was supposed to be an internal communication from my contact to his executive management saying how he planned to handle the contract negotiation with me.

So, hypothetically, if I follow the directions and let him know "immediately" that I got his internal email by mistake, and then delete it from my system, then it's like I never got that email in the first place? This magic paragraph is like a "redo" and I can never use what I saw in the deleted email for my negotiation planning?

(In my best Dr. Evil Voice): Riiiiiiiiiiight.

This actually dovetails into a "serious" post I was planning on my licensing blog about residual clauses, but I haven't gotten around to writing it yet.

No comments: