Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Existential Movie Moment of the Day

Today's entry: Bladerunner:

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time ... like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

Deckard (voiceover): I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had ... as though he loved life very much ... every second of it ... even the pain. Then he was dead. I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life ... anybody's life ... my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where do I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

No comments: