Monday, June 15, 2009

One of My Last Lectures

I finished my MBA in 1993. One of my last lectures was my "class" on entrepreneurism, and I will never forget it:


No one in here wants to make a million dollars, everyone in here wants to spend a million dollars.

Because making a million dollars is hard. And it should be. But few if any of you out there will do it. You will go into industry, get a job, take a salary. And you will be comfortable. But few of you will go out there and take the risk. Risk failure. Risk everything. Because you are here for a pedigree. To put "MBA" onto your resume. Not really apply anything you learned here.

Now there is nothing wrong with that. And each of you will be successful in their own right. But few if any of you will earn the title of entrepreneur.


The sad part is, at least about me, was he was right.

No comments: