Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What Would Reagan Do?

I came of age under Ronny. For those eight years no one $(%*ed with the U.S. or our interests throughout the globe. Was it hegemony? Sure it was, but whose hegemony do you want, ours or someone else's?

As I watch events unfold in Iran I can't say I know what the outcome will be. My guess is that it won't end up well for the protesters. We'll likely see another Tiamen and watch some kids crushed beneath tanks with the rest sent off to prisons never to be heard from again.

In the mean time we have nothing coming out of Washington, which is teaching the Iranian Mullahs one thing: The U.S. will not advance its interests. They can work on atomic weapons that directly threaten U.S. interests and when there is a threat of revolution that might stop this action the U.S. does...nothing. If this is the case, why would the mullahs respond to anything the U.S. does in the future if they do retain power? They know we did nothing when we had the chance to do so, so why would they fear us in the future? And if we do try to advance our interests now and lose, what are we afraid they will do if they stay in power? Try to develop nuclear weapons?

I am not a foreign policy expert, but if I ask "What would Regan do?" I know it isn't what we're seeing today. What we're seeing now out of Washington is nothing short of a joke.


Update: So what about O's statements today? It's better, and at this rate by the end of the month he'll really show some mettle.

No comments: