Sunday, September 18, 2005

Visiting the World's Tallest Building

Coming to Asia is a tough job. I have to dine potential clients, drink ridiculous amounts of liquor, and find ways to kill time in exotic cities with the extra time that inevitably comes up. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Today my little group found itself with a few hours to kill between appointments, and conveniently enough, the World's Tallest Building, Taiwan 101, is across the street from our hotel. So up we went, over a third of a mile up:

The experience isn't any different from being on the top of a mountain, except I have to admit that looking straight down is pretty interesting. The conversation inevitably turns to the same topics in these situations: had anyone parachuted off of it, had anyone committed suicide by jumping off of it, and, of course, whether a penny dropped from this height would kill someone.

And while I can go around and smugly claim that "I have been at the top of the World's Tallest Building", I won't be able to say it for very long. There are several buildings proposed for completion in the next few years will surpass this one, so I will inevitably have to find time to kill in another city to keep my claim.

No comments: