Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Kindler, Gentler Soju

At dinner last night my host ordered soju, the national drink of Korea. It is to them what Vodka is to Russians. In fact, it is a lot like vodka in flavor, and like vodka can go down like rocket fuel. I don't particularly care for it, but when in Rome...

I took the shot glass and belted back the drink with one gulp and actually found it smooth. "Hey, did you change brands of Soju?" I asked.

"No, my brand lowered their alcohol content from 22% to 19%. They hope by lowering the alcohol people can drink more and they can therefore sell more bottles."

"It's certainly better tasting."

"Yes, they are trying to get more women to try it, so lowering the alcohol also makes it easier for people who cannot handle the stronger flavor."

"So are you saying I drink like a woman?"

"Oh, no, you drink like an American."

No comments: