Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Depressing Sales Movie: Glengarry Glen Ross

Here is an excerpt from the movie every salesman should see, Glengarry Glen Ross (from the Al Pacino character).  It is a fascinating take on both life and sales:

What is our life? It's looking forward or it's looking back. And that's our life. That's it. Where is the moment?
And what is it that we're afraid of? Loss. What else? The bank closes. We get sick, my wife died on a plane, the stock market collapsed...the house burnt down...what of these happen...? None on 'em. We worry anyway. What does this mean? I'm not secure. How can I be secure? Through amassing wealth beyond all measure? No. And what's beyond all measure? That's a sickness. That's a trap. There is no measure. Only greed. How can we act?
The right way, we would say, to deal with this: "There is a one-in-a-million chance that so and so will happen...#$%* it, it won't happen to me..." No. We know that's not the right way I think. We say the correct way to deal with this is "There is a one-in-so-and-so chance this will happen...God protect me. I am powerless, let it not happen to me..." But no to that. I say there's something else.
What is it? If it happens, AS IT MAY for that is not within our powers, I will deal with it, just as I do today with what draws my concern today. I say this is how we must act. I do those things which seem correct to me today. I trust myself. And if security concerns me, I do that which today I think will make me secure. And every day I do that, when that day arrives that I need a reserve, [a] odds are that I have it, and [b] the true reserve that I have is the strength that I have of acting each day without fear. According to the dictates of my mind.

No comments: