Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wii Resort - I Wish This Resort Existed in Real Life

I have been playing Wii Resort with the daughter, and I have to give it two thumbs waaay up.

The positive review at the WSJ called Wii Resort - and the new, improved Wii Motion Plus controller - an evolutionary improvement, and I would have to agree with them on that point. But as for the actual game of Wii Resort, I find it much more engrossing than Wii Sports, and it makes me wish this place existed in real life.

The theme of the game is that you are at an island resort - you actually parachute in - and then have various activities - ping pong, sky diving, fencing, golf, frisbee, etc. - to keep you occupied for days.

The Motion Plus controller adds to to the games where wrist control can come in handy - like frisbee. For games that existed on Wii Sports (bowling, golf) it adds an element of reality, but makes it harder. Tennis is replaced with ping pong, where wrist action comes more into play.

By far my favorite is sword play, especially the "Showdown" where you battle dozens of Miis at once like a kung-fu movie. Also in the martial arts category is archery, which has a surprisingly realistic feel using the motion controller tethered with the "nunchuck". The only thing missing is the feel of the tension of the string.

If you have a Wii, definitely go out and buy the package.

No comments: